Wednesday, September 26, 2012

NFL Week One (Finally)

Well, I guess I better get to posting before the season is over.  I have been building up content while I was trying to figure out how to setup the blog.  It isn't as easy as they say it is.  Or maybe it is just me.
So, without further ado, I will roll out my recaps of weeks 1, 2, and 3.  I know my blog isn't sexy yet.
It will get better.  Away we go.

NFL RECAP – WEEK ONE


STATE OF THE GAME

Maybe the replacement refs didn’t cost anybody any games, but we are in for a long season if the experienced guys don’t come back.  There were lots of fuzzy interference calls, some really slow and late flags (even though the calls were mostly correct), and just bad “presence” when making calls.  It always looked to me like the head guy was looking for positive affirmation every time they announced to the crowd.  My favorite gaffes:

The block in the back that wasn’t in the Green Bay San Fran game.  They gave themselves a do over and still missed an obvious infraction that likely led to a Packer touchdown.  No harm no foul I guess as 49ers still won.

The extra timeout Seattle called in the game with Arizona.  Hawks are driving for the winning TD.  The Hawks call timeout in a chaotic goal-to-goal situation.  Card bench goes ballistic and then a long conversation ensues about whether the Hawks had a timeout to call.  You can almost hear the Final Jeopardy music in the background.  In the end the officials still award Seattle a timeout they didn’t have.  It really didn’t matter because they gave the Hawks about five timeouts worth of discussion time while they were making their decision on how to count to three.  Fortunately for this black and white dream team the Hawks botched their end of game plays and Arizona emerged triumphant.


5-10 MUSINGS FROM THE GAMES

SEATTLE AND KANSAS CITY??
I heard quite a few “experts” mention Kansas City and Seattle as sleeper picks to win their divisions, and maybe go deep into the play-offs.  OK, good for them to make bold predictions, but I don’t see it.  I like Russell Wilson’s game, but I am not sure he is ready for prime time.  Plus, he really doesn’t have a top-notch set of wideouts.   Marshawn Lynch usually takes about 8 weeks to ease into productivity.  By that time the Hawks will be wondering what to do with the QB situation given their investment in Matt Flynn.
Kansas City has Matt Cassell  starting at QB and that means by default they are not a serious threat for anything.  The loss to Atlanta was ugly.  Reminds me of last year when Kansas City started their first two games getting blasted by something like a combined 100-3.  I know, this is the AFC West and something near 9-7 should do the trick. The Chiefs do seem to hang together and rally as the season wears on.  Hmmm, maybe they should put that on their bumper stickers.


WHINE ME A RIVER
Is anybody besides me sick of Wes Welker?  Welker whined after the Super Bowl (People spent way too much time analyzing whether to blame Brady or Welker for the pass Welker DROPPED.  Let’s move on).  He whined when he didn’t get his contract and had to make due with $9.5Million this year (I can almost hear Sprewell in the background wondering how a guy feeds his family on that).  He whined when he didn’t get enough touches in game one.  Evidently Wes was not happy with the Patriots efficient dispatching of the Titans because he didn’t feel loved enough.  Or maybe his hair plugs are too tight?? http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4725388/welker-gets-hair-transplant

Wes, shut up and play, please.

THAT WAS INTERESTING
I found the New Orleans and Washington game to be interesting on many fronts.  First, Tony Kornheiser on Pardon the Interruption (PTI) terribly predicted that with all the us against the world stuff in the Big Easy, the Redskins probably shouldn’t even show up.  Well, let’s just color that the opinion of another “expert” and let’s stop making predictions because we really don’t have a clue.  I will try to stay away from bold predictions, but on occasion I probably will not be able to help myself.

RG3 and Andrew Luck both have game and it will be exciting to watch their contrasting styles throughout the years.  RG3 showed poise, leadership and  a penchant for the big play.  Hopefully Mike “The Brain” Shanahan doesn’t over think how to use him and let’s RG3 do his thing.

The Saints needed to win this game, in my opinion, to set the tone for the season. They needed to convince themselves they could weather the storm – pun kind of intended.  The defense looks awful and the offense out of that rhythm we have come to expect from the Saints.


WHAT’S WRONG WITH THE PACK
As early as late in the 2011 regular season the Packers showed signs of losing their mojo.  Everybody kind of dismissed the loss to the Chiefs as a bad team beating a good team that had nothing to play for.  That is fair.  I think the Chiefs wrote the recipe on how to beat Green Bay.  Make them make long drives.  Test their patience to move the ball down the field.  With Green Bay’s lack of a ground game, all it takes to stop a drive is a dropped ball, incomplete pass, or sack along the way.

I don’t want to take away anything from the Niners.  They dominated the Packers in Green Bay.   Yes, but the Giants dominated the Packers in Green Bay too.  Are we seeing the Packers return to the Pack?

DOES PEYTON PLAY DEFENSE
There is all this silly enthusiasm in Denver that the Broncos will win every game and fulfill Peter King’s prediction of making it to the SB.  Gosh, I just don’t see it.  Remember these Broncos?  They have a defense that gave up 40+ points five times last year?

The conventional wisdom is that with Manning the Broncos will be playing ahead all the time and Elvis Dumervil and Von Miller will make everybody pay.  I guess it could happen that way.  What I saw against Pittsburgh was a defense that struggled to get off the field.  The Broncos were fortunate that Pittsburgh couldn’t close the deal on a couple of drives that stalled into field goals. 

THE CIRCUS COMES TO TOWN, NOT
Did anybody else get disappointed when Mark Sanchez didn’t melt down after he threw a terrible interception early in the 1st quarter against the Bills?  Instead, Sanchez righted himself and played an efficient game.  The same Jets that couldn’t buy a TD all preseason got 48 points in game one.  Yes it is only game one.  Yes the Bills were awful.  Yes (hopefully) there will be many opportunities for a Sanchez/Tebow circus throughout the year.  For one day though, Mark is the man, and all is easy in the Big Apple.  Tim who?

I HAVE A THEORY
Even though we love the NFL, we have to admit that many times we lament time spent watching the unwatchable.  I am here to help you avoid that situation.  First let me remind you that your DVR is your friend.  Shudder at the thought that you watched four hours of the Raiders and Chargers?  This game had the devilish double:  Bad football and bad announcers.  I got into the rhythm with my DVR FFWD button and watched every play of this game in 17 minutes.  So, practice the timing, get the rhythm, and get back your life.

OK, here is my theory.  My unscientific sense of this and past seasons is that the very worst games frequently involve the same handful of teams.  Don’t watch games that these teams play and you will probably have reason to thank me.  Unscientifically, I suggest that there is a 53% chance that the worst game each week will involve one of these four teams:
Cleveland
Jacksonville
Miami
St. Louis

I suggest the odds go up to 90% if any of these two teams play each other in any given week.

WEEKLY AWARDS

MVP
I am not a fan of his GQ spreads and the borderline female fashion he sometimes wears.  No, I am not talking about Tom Brady (not this time).  My week one MVP is Mark Sanchez.  Did he really believe the Jets could bring the goods?  I doubt it, but they did and he looked good as the trigger man. Tim who?

EL BUSTO
Denver Nuggets commentator Scott Hastings famously referred to a Nugget’s draft pick (Tony Battie) as El Busto.  Scott used the term to indicate a career-long condition.  I will steal the term to designate my anti MVP for each week.

My first El Busto is Ryan Fitzpatrick of the Bills.  Maybe it was knowing he couldn’t possibly be as bad as Fitzpatrick that gave Sanchez the confidence to soar to new heights?  I think Buffalo is in for another disappointing season.  The Bills gave Fitzpatrick a nice contract after a few good games last year.  He has pretty much stunk since then save for a late season game against the vaunted Bronco D.  Maybe he will earn the EL BUSTO moniker for a career?

SURPRISE-SURPRISE-SURPRISE
The Jim Neighbors award goes to RG3.  I did not see this performance coming at all.  RG3 looked like a younger, faster, smarter Michael Vick in a tough New Orleans road venue.  Sure he made big plays, but he made solid little plays all game long.  Color me impressed.

TREASURE OF THE WEEK
My first best game of the week award goes to San Fran/Green Bay.  The 49ers played a solid game offensively and defensively that left the Packers looking all out of sorts.  San Fran had a real nice balance of run to pass that plays well late in the season.  I know it is early in the season, but I think the Packers really need to beat Chicago next week and look good doing it.

TRASH OF THE WEEK
I thought this would be a no-brainer after the Browns/Eagles staged their dueling interception derby on Sunday.  Then in the week’s last game, Oakland and San Diego made us all hope and pray that ESPN gets rid of this opening week double-header game.  No offense, bad camera work, two teams without any real identities.  This game was painful to watch, even in 17 minutes.  This is a photo finish.  However, rather than suggest they each replay these games, (in a nod to the women’s 100 meter trial results), I will make a call.  I can’t ignore eight interceptions.  Congratulations to the Browns and the Eagles.

No comments:

Post a Comment