Wednesday, November 28, 2012

NFL Card Show - Bob Jeter


NFL CARD SHOW 

Bob Jeter
Writing my blog got me thinking about my roots as a fan of the NFL.  The first game I remember vividly was Super Bowl III played in 1969 between the Baltimore Colts of the NFL and the New York Jets of the AFL.   At about that same time I began to amass my football card collection.  I probably collected cards from grade one through grade seven.  Topps was the only card company at that time.  The cards came with the obligatory piece of cardboard style bubble gum.  

I am going to make each Wednesday show and tell for a card or two that I pull at random from my collection.  I hope you enjoy a trip down memory lane if this was your era, or a little history lesson if these cards are 10-20 
years older than you are.

The packers drafted Jeter in the second round of the 1960 draft. Jeter initially elected to play in the Canadian Football League, but came to his sense and joined the Packers in 1963.  Jeter was a fixture in the defensive backfield for the Packers for eight seasons.  He finished his career playing  three years with the hated Bears (1971-1973).

Jeter finished his career with 26 interceptions.  He made the All Pro team twice (1967, 1970)

Jeter played on three championship teams with the Packers (1965-1967).  The 1966 team won the first Super Bowl defeating the Kansas Chiefs 35-10.  The Packers defeated the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl II 33-14.  Jeter played in the shadows of more famous Packer teammates.  He was however, a key cog in the  1960's Packer machine.


No comments:

Post a Comment