Friday, November 23, 2012

NFL Top Ten List - Chargers


NFL TOP TEN LIST
Top Ten Chargers

I want to do some posts that give credit to the players that have entertained me throughout the years.  Some of these guys I cheered, some I booed.  Some I cheered and booed depending on my mood and the opponent that day.  That is what fans do I guess. 

I am going to pick a franchise every now and then and list the ten guys that "hit me" when I think of that team.  Some players on my list will be stars.  Some will be characters.   These are the guys I attach to my history of following their franchises   -- the wins, the losses, the glory of the game.

10) Hank Bauer - I always thought of Hank Bauer as kind of the Charger mascot during the later 70's and early 80's.  He was a special teams legend who also specialized in goal line running situations.  One of my favorite all-time stat lines:  In 1979 Bauer carried 22 times for 28 yards and scored eight touchdowns.
9) Gary Garrison - A dangerous deep threat and the perfect compliment to the better-known Lance Alworth.  In 11 seasons with the Bolts he caught 404 passes for over 7500 yards and 58 touchdowns.  Garrison averaged over 18.5 yards a catch in his career and had great nickname - the Ghost.
8) In nine years with Chargers had 138 touchdowns and 12500 yards rushing and another 4,000 yards receiving.  Yes, he probably is in the top three Chargers of all-time based solely on performance.  But, for whatever reason, there are other guys that I think of first when I talk Chargers.
7) Dan Fouts - Hall of Fame quarterback who led a greatest show on grass before the Rams took it indoors.  Fouts had great weapons including: Charlie Joiner, John Jefferson, and Kellen Winslow.  Fouts never got to the big game, but he made it exciting along the way.
6) John Jefferson - An acrobatic receiver who had 3400 yards and 36 touchdowns in his first three seasons with the Chargers.  Was traded to Green Bay after the 1982 season and never matched his productivity with the Chargers.  Bolts replaced him with Wes Chandler and didn't miss a beat.  JJ wore big googles making him one of the games most recognizable players.
5) John Hadl - Before there was a Fouts or a Brees, or a Rivers, John Hadl was the triggerman in San Diego.  Known as a high risk, high reward deep thrower who matched touchdowns with interceptions.  It was fun to watch, though.
4) Ron Mix - Mix was a beast of a left tackle and is a member of the Hall of Fame.  Played for Chargers from 1960-69.  Truthfully, I don't remember much about Mix. Ron Mix was one of the first football cards I collected, and his pose, which reminded me of a gorilla pounding his chest, is one of my favorites.  Comfortable rocking the pink background.

3) Kellen Winslow - Winslow was drafted by the Chargers in 1979 and played with the Chargers until he retired in 1987.  He was in many ways more like today's tight ends that are big and fast.  He had 1000+ yard receiving years three times between 1980 and 1983, an amazing feat for tight ends in that era.  He missed a 1000 yard season in 1982 only because a player strike limited the season to nine games.  His performance in January 1982 playoff game against Miami ranks among the top big game efforts of all time.

2) Lance Alworth - Had 9500 receiving yards and 81 touchdowns in nine seasons with the Chargers.  Lance played in an era when quarterbacks often threw deep. He averaged 19.5 yards a catch on his 493 receptions as a Charger.  Played for the Cowboys in 1971 and 1972 winning a Super Bowl after the 1971 season.
1) Junior Seau - The enthusiastic way he played the game made fans of everybody who watched him.  He covered sideline to sideline with fury and speed.  His epic duels with Bronco QB John Elway were must see games when both players were in their prime.

No comments:

Post a Comment