Friday, November 2, 2012

NFL Top Ten List - Oilers and Titans


NFL TOP TEN LIST
Top Ten Oilers/Titans

I want to do some posts that give credit to the players that have entertained me throughout the years.  Some of these guys I cheered, some I booed.  Some I cheered and booed depending on my mood and the opponent that day.  That is what fans do I guess. 

I am going to pick a team every now and then and list the ten guys that "hit me" when I think of that team.  Some players on my list will be stars.  Some will be characters.   These are the guys I attach to their franchises   -- the wins, the losses, the glory of the game.


10) - Frank Wychek - A tight end by trade, and a pretty good one.  Wychek tossed the Music City Miracle lateral to Kevin Dyson.
9) Steve McNair - A hard-nosed quarterback who played hurt and played tough.  Led team to the Super Bowl after the 1999 Season.
8)Elvin Bethea - A beast of a defensive end who was good against the run and the pass.
7) Bum Phillips - The boots, the hat, the drawl.  Not many coaches would make a list like this, but you couldn't think Houston Oilers and not think Bum Phillips.
6) Kenny Houston -  A Hall of Fame Safety who had 10 returns for touchdowns during his six seasons in Houston.  Moved to the Redskins in 1973 and played eight seasons there.  With a name like Kenny Houston, I always think of him as an Oiler.
5) Eddie George - The 1995 Heisman Trophy winner was a productive workhouse running back for many years.  Rushed for 1000+ yards in seven of eight years with the franchise.  Low career average of 3.6 yards/carry keeps him out of the great backs discussion.
4) Warren Moon - A stats machine once he moved to the NFL from Canada.  Put up huge numbers and in a way was the start of the passing revolution that drives the NFL today.
3) Curly Culp - The first true nose tackle in Houston's 3-4 defense.  One of the best run defenders ever.  A squat and powerful lineman.
2) Billy "white shoes" Johnson - A flashy receiver best known for his shoes, punt returns, and end zone dances.  There were practitioners before him, but White Shoes brought the TD celebration mainstream.
1) Earl Campbell -- I would rank Earl Campbell in his prime in the top three running backs I have watched.  He brought bruising power and surprising speed.  His rookie season game against the Dolphins is one of the legendary Monday Night Football performances.

No comments:

Post a Comment