Friday, November 9, 2012

NFL Top Ten List - Vikings


NFL TOP TEN LIST
Top Ten Vikings

I want to do some posts that give credit to the players that have entertained me throughout the years.  Some of these guys I cheered, some I booed.  Some I cheered and booed depending on my mood and the opponent that day.  That is what fans do I guess. 

I am going to pick a franchise every now and then and list the ten guys that "hit me" when I think of that team.  Some players on my list will be stars.  Some will be characters.   These are the guys I attach to my history of following their franchises   -- the wins, the losses, the glory of the game.

10) Chris Doleman - A Hall of Fame pass rusher.  One of the fastest defensive lineman ever.  Lethal for offenses in the loud Metro Dome with its fast surface.  Also played for Falcons and Niners.  Had 21 sacks in 1989 and 150 in his career.
9) Chuck Foreman - A versatile and durable back in the 70s.  Played on three Super Bowl teams.  One of the first true dual threat rushers and receivers.  
8) Gary Zimmerman - A hall of Fame offensive tackle.  Won two Super Bowls with the Broncos but had his dominate years with the Vikings.
7)Adrien Peterson - In my opinion he is the only back today who can consistently dominate a game in the pass happy NFL.  His size/speed combo provides ample highlights of running over and running by defenders.  Closing in on 8000 career rushing yards in this his sixth season.  Might be in the top three Vikings when he is done.
6) Jim Marshall -- Iron man defensive tackle who played in 282 consecutive regular season games.  Played on four Viking Super Bowl teams.  
5) Fran Tarkenton - Hall of Fame passer who threw for 47,000 yards and 342 TDs in his career with the Vikings, the Giants, and then the Vikings again.  In his second stint with the Vikings he led the team to three Super Bowls but never won the big prize.
4) Bud Grant - Bud Grant was so perfect for the Vikings.  White-haired and stoic -- the sideline presence that I see when I think of the Viking games in the cold and the snow.
3) Paul Krause - A Hall of Fame defensive back.  Played first four years in Washington.  Played the final twelve years of his career in Minnesota.  His career interception total of 81 is the highest in NFL history.
2)Randy Moss -  -- I know - -there are a lot of great Viking players and some people would consider Randy unworthy of this ranking.  Yes, Moss takes some plays off.  Yes, Randy could behave in ways that made you root against him.  But the numbers don't lie.  Led NFL in touchdown receptions 3 of his seven years in Minnesota and had 1000+ receiving yards his first six seasons with the Vikings.  Broke the single season touchdown receiving record while playing with the Patriots in 2007.  I think he is the best deep receiver to ever play the game and maybe the most graceful receiver I have ever watched.
1) Allen Page- A member of the Purple People Eaters front four with Eller, Marshall and Larson.  Another Hall of Fame defender best known for his quickness and ability to pressure the quarterback.  Played on all four Viking Super Bowl teams.  In 1971 he won the AP NFL Most Valuable Player Award - a rare feat for a defensive player.


No comments:

Post a Comment