Tuesday, October 23, 2012


NFL CARD SHOW 

Brad Van Pelt
Writing my blog got me thinking about my roots as a fan of the NFL.  The first game I remember vividly was Super Bowl III played in 1969 between the Baltimore Colts of the NFL and the New York Jets of the AFL.   At about that same time I began to amass my football card collection.  I probably collected cards from grade one through grade seven.  Topps was the only card company at that time.  The cards came with the obligatory piece of cardboard style bubble gum.  

I am going to make each Wednesday show and tell for a card or two that I pull at random from my collection.  I hope you enjoy a trip down memory lane if this was your era, or a little history lesson if these cards are 10-20 years older than you are.



Brad Van Pelt won the Maxwell award in 1972 as college football's best player.  The Giants drafted him in the second round in 1973 with the 40th overall pick.  Van Pelt played for the Giants for eleven seasons.  He appeared in five straight pro bowls beginning in 1976.  Van Pelt finished his career with two seasons in Oakland and one year in Cleveland.

The thing I remember most about Van Pelt is that he wore number 10 all those seasons in New York.  You don't see too many pro linebackers wear that number.  Brad's son Bradlee Van Pelt played quarterback for the Colorado State Rams and played briefly in the NFL with the Broncos and the 
Texans. 

Brad Van Pelt passed away in 2009 at the age of 57.

No comments:

Post a Comment