Wednesday, October 17, 2012

NFL Card Show - MacArthur Lane


NFL CARD SHOW 

MacArthur Lane
Writing my blog got me thinking about my roots as a fan of the NFL.  The first game I remember vividly was Super Bowl III played in 1969 between the Baltimore Colts of the NFL and the New York Jets of the AFL.   At about that same time I began to amass my football card collection.  I probably collected cards from grade one through grade seven.  Topps was the only card company at that time.  The cards came with the obligatory piece of cardboard style bubble gum.  

I am going to make each Wednesday show and tell for a card or two that I pull at random from my collection.  I hope you enjoy a trip down memory lane if this was your era, or a little history lesson if these cards are 10-20 years older than you are.



This is a 1975 card.  MacArthur played 11 NFL seasons with the Cardinals, Packers, Redskins, and Chiefs from 1968-1978.  His best year was 1970 with the Cardinals when he rushed for 977 yards, 11 TDs, and made the Pro Bowl. Though a running back, people often spoke of MacArthur's powerful arm.  Legend had it that he could stand in one end zone and throw the ball on the fly to the other end zone.  I don't know if that is true -- but it is a good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment