Wednesday, October 10, 2012

NFL Card Show - Ed Budde


NFL CARD SHOW 

ED BUDDE
Writing my blog got me thinking about my roots as a fan of the NFL.  The first game I remember vividly was Super Bowl III played in 1969 between the Baltimore Colts of the NFL and the New York Jets of the AFL.   At about that same time I began to amass my football card collection.  I probably collected cards from grade one through grade seven.  Topps was the only card company at that time.  The cards came with the obligatory piece of cardboard style bubble gum.  

I am going to make each Wednesday show and tell for a card or two that I pull at random from my collection.  I hope you enjoy a trip down memory lane if this was your era, or a little history lesson if these cards are 10-20 years older than you are.


Ed Budde played for the great Kansas City Chiefs teams of the later 60's and early 70's.  He played in the first Super Bowl when Green Bay defeated Kansas City 35-10.  In 1970 the Chiefs got the better of the Vikings in Super Bowl IV 23-7.  Budde protected Chiefs quarterback Len Dawson for many years and was named to seven All Pro teams (Mostly in the AFL).  Budde is 6'5" and played at 260 pounds.  Today some quarterbacks and fullbacks are that size.  He reminds me a little bit of the guy from Hee Haw.

No comments:

Post a Comment