Wednesday, October 31, 2012

NFL Card Show - Bill Munson


NFL CARD SHOW 

Bill Munson
Writing my blog got me thinking about my roots as a fan of the NFL.  The first game I remember vividly was Super Bowl III played in 1969 between the Baltimore Colts of the NFL and the New York Jets of the AFL.   At about that same time I began to amass my football card collection.  I probably collected cards from grade one through grade seven.  Topps was the only card company at that time.  The cards came with the obligatory piece of cardboard style bubble gum.  

I am going to make each Wednesday show and tell for a card or two that I pull at random from my collection.  I hope you enjoy a trip down memory lane if this was your era, or a little history lesson if these cards are 10-20 
years older than you are.



Bill Munson played quarterback in the NFL from 1964 to 1979.  The Rams drafted Munson in the first round in 1964 with the seventh overall pick.  He started 18 games his first two years with Los Angeles, winning only three.  The Rams traded him to Detroit in 1968.  Munson played eight years in Detroit, where he seemed to be constantly in a battle with Greg Landry for the starting role.  Munson finished his career as a backup, playing for three  different teams from 1976-1979.  Munson never lived up to his lofty draft status.  He finished his career with a 27-34-5 record as a starter.

No comments:

Post a Comment