Friday, October 12, 2012

NFL Top Ten List - Linebackers


NFL TOP TEN LIST
BEST LINEBACKERS OF
POST MERGER ERA

My subjective ranking of the top ten linebackers since the AFL/NFL merger in 1970.  The list will therefore not include some greats who played the majority of their careers before the merger – such as Dick Butkus or Willie Lanier.

10)Derrick Brooks – Tampa Bay  - Smart player who was great in the passing game and delivered a lick.
9)Randy Gradishar – Denver – A tackling machine and the leader of Denver’s Orange Crush defense. 
8)Jack Ham – Pittsburgh – I know, people love Lambert, but I always thought Ham was the better player.  People underrated his speed and ability to cover.
7)Derrick Tomas – Kansas City – A great edge rusher.  Speed and power to get by tackles and blow up running backs.
6)Charles Haley – San Francisco/Dallas – A versatile defender who could play rush end as well.  Super Bowl winners seemed to follow him around.
5)Ted Hendricks – Baltimore (Colts)/Green Bay/Oakland – The Mad Stork played on three Super Bowl winners and made All Pro with three different teams.
4)Junior Seau – San Diego – I know he played for Pats and Dolphins too, but for me is always a Charger.  Played with passion from sideline to sideline.  I watched him play my Denver Broncos many times.  The guy from another team I respected more than any other.
3)Mike Singletary – Chicago – The leader of one of the top defenses ever.  He played the game the right way.
2)Lawrence Taylor – New York – He changed the style of play for his position.  The defensive player offenses had to address in the game plan.
1)Ray Lewis – Ray Lewis is the most complete defensive player I have watched.  He may also be the most intimidating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment